The careless disposal of cigarettes , lighters and matches are the most common causes of fires in Queensland homes.
If you are a smoker or have smokers in the home the following fire safety tips are recommended.
- Store matches and lighters away from children. Storage above adult shoulder height and out of sight is recommended.
- Extinguish cigarettes before discarding. Discarded cigarette butts need to be disposed of safely, as many fires have started from a cigarette falling onto furniture.
- Always use deep-sided ashtrays as an additional safe guard.
- Empty ashtrays frequently into an outside refuse bin ensuring first that all cigarette remnants and matches are extinguished.
- NEVER leave lit cigarettes unattended.