Clothes dryers are often responsible for laundry fires. Remembering to clean the lint out of a clothes dryer filter as often as possible, will help prevent the machine overheating and will go a long way towards preventing house fires.
By following a few simple steps below householders can help prevent a clothes dryer fire:
- Clean the lint filters in clothes dryers after every load
- Make sure that each load goes through a full cycle, giving the dryer an opportunity to cool down
- Regularly dust the grill of the clothes dryer to prevent dust build up and overheating.
- Don't overload power points in the laundry
- Ensure there is proper ventilation and air space around the clothes dryer
- From time-to-time, clean the lint filter in soapy water to remove any build up of material over the filter.
- Turn dryer off before leaving the house.
Last updated July 2009