The role of Auxiliary Firefighter requires outstanding physical, mental and emotional strength.
In responding to an emergency, your job may require:
- periods of intense and sustained physical activity
- work in confined spaces and with poor visibility
- hot and humid working environments
- wearing of breathing apparatus and protective clothing
- challenging situations, including dealing with casualties, both injured and deceased
To ensure successful performance within these conditions, QFES requires that Auxiliary Firefighters possess good levels of physical fitness, dexterity and mental strength, along with a powerful commitment to their role and the community.
Before you apply to become a QFES Auxiliary Firefighter, you MUST meet the following criteria
- Manual C class driver licence held for at least 1 year OR manual medium rigid driver licence
- Minimum of 18 years of age at the commencement of paid employment
- Australian/New Zealand citizen or permanent residence status
- Employer's written consent to attend incidents and emergencies (where applicable)
To be considered for a role, you must live and work within a reasonable distance to an Auxiliary Fire Station to ensure compliance with response time targets. Auxiliary stations are at different locations to Urban Fire Stations, and Auxiliary positions are limited.
Please contact your local QFES Auxiliary Station for information about current vacancies, applications are submitted online – See Next Steps below.
Please note that the Auxiliary Firefighter recruitment process is currently under review. Please contact QFES Talent Acquisition for more detailed information.
Submit application form
Aptitude/general cognitive assessments
Criminal history check
Offer of employment
Auxiliary Rates of Pay – Auxiliary Firefighters' Award – State 2016
|New Base||New Total|
|New Base||Grade 1|
|New Base||Grade 2|
Expressions of interest now open in preparation for upcoming vacancies.