ADVICE message for bushfire in Bluewater Park (Townsville)
11/22/2012 4:43:13 PM
The Queensland Fire and Rescue Service (QFRS) is advising:
A large grass fire is currently burning in the vicinity of Blue Mountain Drive, Bluewater Park, near Townsville. Twelve QFRS crews are currently conducting property protection by backburning and reinforcing containment lines on Blue Mountain Drive. This fire has been burning since 9.30pm last night and is currently burning in inaccessible area. It has been reported one shipping container, which was used as temporary living quarters, has been lost in the blaze.
Residents in the vicinity of Blue Mountain Drive and Forestry Road should consider taking precautionary measures including:
• Put on protective clothing
• Drink lots of water
• Move car/s to a safe location
• Close windows and doors and shut blinds
• Bring pets inside and restrain them (leash, cage or secure room) and provide water
• Wet down fine fuels close to buildings
• Remove garden furniture, doormats and other items
• Seal all gaps under doors and screens
• Fill containers with water - eg bath, sinks, buckets, wheelie bins, etc
• Have ladders ready for roof space access (inside) and against roof (outside)
• Have generator or petrol pump ready
• Check and patrol outside for embers and extinguish any spot fires and seek shelter as
the fire front arrives.
Regular updated information will be provided on the QFRS Rural Operations website at www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au or at www.fire.qld.gov.au or by listening to their local radio station. For information on current bushfire incidents visit http://www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au/map.html .
Contact for media enquiries: DCS media unit on (07) 3635 3310.