UPDATE: ADVICE message for a bushfire at Bribie Island as at 9.30am
1/11/2013 9:40:48 AM
The Queensland Fire and Rescue Service is advising:
A number of bushfires are continuing to burn in the Bribie Island National Park area. Fire crews remain on the ground patrolling and maintaining containment lines.
While there is currently no threat to property, a large smoke plume and ash will drift across White Patch, Banksia Beach, Pumicestone Passage and over the townships of Sandstone Point, Toorbul and Donnybrook. Smoke may also be seen in the Caboolture and surrounding areas.
Residents in the area are urged to stay indoors and keep windows and doors closed. People with respiratory illness are advised to keep their medication close by.
Motorists, especially on the Bruce Highway, are urged to exercise caution, drive to conditions and be aware of firefighters working in the area. Updated information on road conditions can be found on the Department of Transport’s website: http://www.131940.qld.gov.au
Residents are advised to call Triple Zero (000) if their property comes under threat.
Residents should consider taking precautionary measures including:
• Put on protective clothing
• Drink lots of water
• Move car/s to a safe location
• Close windows and doors and shut blinds
• Bring pets inside and restrain them (leash, cage or secure room) and provide water
• Wet down fine fuels close to buildings
• Remove garden furniture, doormats and other items
• Seal all gaps under doors and screens
• Fill containers with water - eg bath, sinks, buckets, wheelie bins, etc
• Have ladders ready for roof space access (inside) and against roof (outside)
• Have generator or petrol pump ready
• Check and patrol outside for embers and extinguish any spot fires and seek shelter as the fire front arrives.
Regular updated information will be provided on the QFRS Rural Operations website at www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au or at www.fire.qld.gov.au or by listening to their local radio station. For information on current bushfire incidents visit http://www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au/map.html
Contact for media enquiries: DCS media unit on (07) 3635 3310.